Products that may contain Gluten
Although this list may not be complete, the idea of this list is to highlight foods which MAY contain gluten and are likely products that you may not have considered as having gluten present:
PRODUCTS THAT MAY CONTAIN GLUTEN:
- Baked beans/creamed corn
- Baking powder
- Crumb coatings for meat, fish or poultry
- Sausages & processed meat
- Soups & stock cubes
- Sauces & gravies
- Dressings including mayonnaise
- Products containing malt such as breakfast cereals, malted milk drink powders
- Cornflour (check the source is from corn rather than wheat)
- Custard powder
- Curry powder
- Cocoa, drinking chocolate, cooking chocolate
- Beer, lager
- Some modified starches or thickeners
To ensure that you are following a strictly gluten free diet you need to become very clever at reading food labels when completing your shopping. Many supermarkets do provide lists of which gluten free foods they stock and these lists can be asked for at the service desk.
However since December 2002, Food Standards Australia & NZ have required that food ingredient list highlight the presence of gluten containing cereals, including wheat.
The Manufactured Food Database - www.mfd.co.nz - is a useful website which gives listings of manufactured foods available in New Zealand that are suitable for people with some common food allergies or intolerances, including wheat allergies and gluten intolerance. The database has been compiled by Nutrition Services of Auckland City Hospital from information voluntary supplied by NZ Food manufacturers.